Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog Assignment #1


About Me!

Hello! My name is Kristen Phelps I am an Elementary Education Major and this is my first year at USA! I graduated from Foley High School in 2008 and from there I started my college education at Auburn University. I went to Auburn for my first year and then transferred to Faulkner State Community College to finish up my second year. I live in Summerdale, AL and commute to USA 3 days a week. I have a very loud and crazy family but I absolutely love them! I'm the oldest of four children. I have 2 sisters, Karsyn who is 18 and Kortlyn who is 2. Yes, 2. And a brother Cason who is 6.
I work full time for a Neurologist in Fairhope, AL. I really love my job, there is always something going on and new things to learn but, teaching is where my heart is. I have known probably from the time that I was in middle school that I wanted to be a teacher. There is just something about helping children learn and teaching them new things that just warms my heart. I love to read and watch movies. I love spending time with my family and boyfriend Jon. And all the rest of my free time is spent working or doing school work!


Randy Pausch on Time Management

I had a very easy time relating to Dr. Pausch's video. I would like to think that I have decent time management skills. But unfortunately, I think I only manage my time wonderfully when I'm doing something that I really want to do. When it comes to school work or something that I know I need to do but I'm not really looking forward to it, I tend to procrastinate. I think what Dr. Pausch said about asking yourself, "Why am I doing this?" and "What happens if I choose not to do it?" would really help me. I sometimes lose sight of why it is that I'm doing what I'm doing. So I will defiantly try to ask myself those questions when I find myself procrastinating and stressed because I procrastinated! Another thing that I thought was really interesting/funny was when Dr. Pausch talked about doing "wrong things" beautifully. He said, "It doesn't matter how well you polish the under side of the banister". I catch myself putting SO much time and effort into things that in the long run really don't matter. If I put half the effort I do into those things into my school work, I would be so much better off!!

3 comments:

  1. This is my first year at USA also. I first attended Jefferson Davis Community College and got my Associates Degree in Sciences. I am very passionate about teaching also. Every since I could remember I wanted to be an elementary school teaching. I live in Huxford, AL and also have to commute to school two days a week. I am also a huge procrastinator to. I will put off things I don't want to do and do them at the last minute and struggle to get done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written!

    So if you don't look forward to school work are you sure you want to be a teacher. As a teacher you will want students who want to learn, who like school. Correct? And you must be a good role model! So is there a conflict?

    Did you try to find out who Dr. Pausch was as called for in the assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia! Thank you for your comment! How long does it take you to get to South from Huxford?

    Dr. Strange, Thank You. I can see where you would think there is a conflict. I don't think I worded that the right way! It isn't that I don't want to learn or do the work. Sometimes when there is a lot of work to be done and other things going on I seem to procrastinate. Not all the time though, I promise! But you are right, I do need to be a good role model and I understand that.
    And yes, I did do some research on Dr. Pausch but I wasn't sure if you were looking for something specific to be in the post so I left it out. Not a good idea obviously! I saw that he worked for a couple of very well known companies...Google, Adobe, and also Walt Disney Imagineering which I thought was neat.

    ReplyDelete